Building Inspection

Office Hours:
  7:30 am - 5:30 pm Mon-Fri
First Field Inspection:
  8:00 am Mon - Fri
Last Field Inspection:
  4:30 pm Mon - Fri

805 W 100 S
Heber City, Utah 84032

Phone (435) 657-3200

Quinn Davis
Building Department Head

Wasatch County Building Department

The Building Department reviews and approves plans, issues permits for residential and commercial construction, and performs building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and sign inspections. Permits are now applied for online.

Building Permit Application

Online Building Permit Application

Apply for a building permit online anytime of the day.  You are now able to setup an account and follow your permit request throughout the permitting process.  All documents need to be uploaded as PDF files and need to be named according to the naming pattern below.  Please review the naming pattern list below carefully.  The list below pertains mainly to new single family dwellings.  For all other structures, any documents in the list that apply to the type of structure you are building is what is required.  If you have questions on what documents may be required for the type of structure you are building please call the office at 435-657-3200.  A plan review will not take place until your submittal is complete.

Required Building Permit Plan Submission Naming Pattern

The above documents need to be named as follows for each submittal/review cycle.
If they are not label correctly, your submittal will be rejected until files are named accordingly.

File Type File Name Discipline Sheet Type
Must be to scale and on either Arch D 24x36 or Arch E 48x36. File needs to include all architectural sheets and structural sheets. Be sure the structural plans are stamped and signed by the Engineer of Record.
Complete Plan Set-Including Site Plan Architectural Plans
Engineering Structural Engineering Calcs Structural Structural Calculations
Gas Line Gas Schematic Mechanical Gas Schematic
Manual J & D Heat Loss
Use Logan or Vernal as design location
Manual J & D-Heat Loss Mechanical Heat Loss Calculations
Signature Required. Need to use the Utah Energy Conservation Code and must pass by 4% or better. If using the prescriptive method, the prescriptive table must be on the cover sheet of your plans.
ResCheck-Signed Energy ResCheck
Truss Package
Including Engineer of Record Review Letter. Review Letter must be from your Engineer of Record that stamped the structural sheets of your plans.
Truss Package Reviewed Structural Truss Package
Propane Application* Propane Application Fire Propane
Wildland Hazard Severity Form* Wildland Fire Wild Land Fire Fire Hazard Severity Form
Landscape Plan Landscape Plan Wild Land Fire Landscape Plan
ICC Evaluation Reports* ER (Report Number) Architectural Other
Bid/Cost of Construction
Not required on Single Family Dwellings
Bid-Cost of Construction Forms Bid-Cost Valuation
Fireplace Specifications* Fireplace Specifications* Mechanical Other
Soils Report Soils Report Structural Other
Home Owner Association* HOA Forms HOA Packet
Plan Review Response Plan Review Response Plan Review Plan Review Comments
Fire Sprinkler Plans* Complete Fire Sprinkler Plans Fire Sprinkler Plans
Fire Sprinkler Calcs* Fire Sprinkler Calcs Fire Calculations
* If Applicable      

Important Information- Please Read and Understand

After you have completed the application and uploaded your documents please be sure to click “SUBMIT FOR REVIEW”.

After your application and documents have been submitted, your submittal will be reviewed for completeness.  If you are missing items that are needed for a complete submittal, you will get an email letting you know what is still needed.  Also in that email will be a link to pay the plan review deposit if required for the type of structure you are building.

  • $1,000.00 single family dwellings
  • $500 solar/photovoltaic

Any time you receive an email with items that need corrected you will need to click the “SUBMIT FOR REVIEW” button after making the corrections.  This is how we are notified that your submittal is ready for us to review.  If you don’t submit for review, we don’t have your project.

Once you received your corrections and you are ready to resubmit revisions, DO NOT DELETE any existing uploaded files.  Label all new uploads per the above list so that a revision is reflected in the revision column instead of an additional document.  Deleting documents may delete your plan review and hold up the issuance of your permit.

All uploaded documents must be in PDF format. Uploading documents of any other format will result in your application being returned as incomplete.

Request An Inspection

Online Building Inspection Request

Wasatch County's Building Inspection department now accepts online permit inspection requests. Please use the link shown below to access this service. Building inspection requests are scheduled on a first come first serve basis and accounting for inspector availability in your area of the county.

Please keep in mind:

  • When you fill out a request, that it is a request and that if the date you have requested is not available, you will be scheduled for the first available spot.  
  • 24 hours notice is required when requesting an inspection.  
  • Due to the high volume of inspection requests currently being received, the average wait time for an inspection is 2-3 business days.

**New as of June 20th, 2016** In order to be able to accommodate the high volume of inspections, all concrete inspection requests must be received by 2:00 p.m. the business day prior to your pour.

The following information is required for an inspection request:

  • Username = permit number
  • Password = first 5 characters of owner's last name & permit number (smith15-999)*

*If the owner’s last name only has 4 characters add the first letter of their first name at the end of the last name & permit number (wildm15-999)

(Note: You will be taken to a website.)

Have multiple permits with Wasatch County?

Please use the link below to register for a Builder Account. The builder account allows you to access all your active permits without having to log into each permit individually.

Frequently Asked Questions

All inspection requests are made online. The link can be found on the Building Inspection page of the Wasatch County website at You will need the permit number and the first 5 characters of the permit holder’s last name or first 5 characters of their name if the permit holder is a Corporation or LLC.

Once your permit has been scheduled, you will receive an email confirmation with the date your inspection has been schedule for and also if your inspection is an a.m. inspection or a p.m. inspection. These emails are automated and sometimes go to junk mail. All inspection requests will be scheduled by the end of the business day that they are requested, as long as they are requested during normal business hours. We will do our best to schedule your inspection for the date you have requested, but if that date is full, your inspection will be scheduled for the first available slot thereafter. If you have requested an inspection, but haven’t seen a confirmation by close of the business day, please check your junk mail. You can also log in the same way you request your inspection and click the “View All Inspections” button and see any pending inspections there.

Your re-inspection fee can be paid in our office located at 805 West 100 South. We except exact cash, check or you can pay using a Visa, Master Card or Discover. Please note: Additional fees apply when paying with a credit card.

Reinspection fees are given at the following times:

  • The inspector arrives and your requested inspection isn’t ready
  • Your stamped approved plans are not onsite
  • Same day inspection cancellations
  • Repeat inspections being scheduled without the prior items being corrected


The Onbase software no longer requires Silverlight viewer so all modern browsers should work, IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

First, be sure that you have downloaded the silver light viewer and that it is active on your computer. If you still do not see the browse button, be sure you are using either Internet Explorer or Fire Fox as your web browser. The silver light viewer is not compatible with Google Chrome.

You can check the status of your permit application by logging in to the project. If the status says that the permit is “under review” or in a “review cycle” this means that your permit is currently moving through the process and you will be notified by email once the project has completed that cycle. If you are notified that there are correction items you will click on the review documents tab in the project to get your plan check list. If the status says “plan submission” this means that the project has been returned to you and you need to address items that have either been emailed to you or have been uploaded to the review documents tab. Please remember that each time you complete your items and they have been uploaded successfully that you need to click the “SUBMIT FOR REVIEW” button. If you don’t select that button, the Building Department does not have your application and it is not moving through the process.

All permits vary based on how complete your submittal is and how long it takes for us to receive correction items once the review has been completed. Please go to the Building Inspection page of the Wasatch County website at for submittal requirements. Please be sure you have all items listed there and that your files are named according to the naming pattern. If you are missing submittal items or your documents are not named accordingly, your application will be returned to you and the permitting process will not begin until all items are submitted correctly.

Permit fees are based on square footage and vary from project to project. As of 6/13/2016 the average per foot charge for the Building Department portion of the permit is around $1.25 per sq. ft. This includes all square footage, finished, unfinished, garage and also porches and decks. Roof coverings over decks should also be included. There is also an additional County impact fee that is based on square footage.

  • Less than 2,500 sq. ft. - $1,779.31
  • 2,500 to 5,000 sq. ft. - $1,886.31
  • Greater than 5,000 sq. ft. - $2,009.31
Other Fees
  • Temp Power fee of $75.00.
  • If your property is located within Wallsburg Town, your County impact fee will be $244.31.
Other fees that will need to be paid during the permitting process, but are collected by Special Service Districts are, Fire, Water and Sewer and Power.
  • Solid Waste SSD Garbage Fee of $150.00
  • If your water or sewer will be supplied by Twin Creeks SSD, North Village SSD, Jordanelle SSD or Strawberry SSD, Please contact Theresa at 435-657-3244.
  • Midway Sanitation SSD: 435-654-4120
  • Please note that if you are on sewer, there will also be an additional fee to Heber Valley Special Service District of $2,179.00.
  • Heber Light & Power: 435-654-1581

Once you have passed your final inspection and the Building Inspector notifies the office that you have passed, the Certificate will start the process of receiving the necessary signatures from within the County. This usually takes at least 7 business days so please plan accordingly. Once the signatures from within the County have been received the permit holder will need to sign the certificate and then it is recorded. Once it has been recorded is when it is a valid Certificate of Occupancy. The Certificate is a notarized document and cannot be sent electronically for signatures.

Yes, you will still need to obtain a permit. There are different requirements however for Agricultural Buildings. Please view the Agricultural Agreement on our webpage under the Forms tab to see if you meet the requirements.

All structures exceeding 200 square feet require a permit. Single story, detached accessory structures that are under 200 square feet do not require a permit. If you are building a structure under the square foot minimum, you should still check with the Wasatch County Planning Office to verify that what you are wanting to build will meet the setback requirements. Also, decks that are under the minimum square footage requirement, but are 30 inches or more off the ground will require a permit. If you are unsure if the structure you are building requires a permit, please call the office to verify.

Once your permit has been issued and you have made payment, you can log in to your account and download your stamped approved plan set from the Approved Documents tab.

The Building Department does not handle the running of Utilities. For water and sewer you will want to contact the Special Service District that supplies the piece of property you are building on. For Power you will want to contact either Rocky Mountain Power or Heber Light & Power depending on who provides the power in your area and for gas you will want to contact Questar Gas if you are running natural gas.

Forms, Checklists, Instructions & Maps

Residential Fire Sprinkler Requirements

Residential Sprinkler Requirements

Residential Fire Sprinkler Requirements -pdf

Residential sprinkler are required if any of the following conditions are met.

Wasatch County Ordinance 17-04 states:

“The Wasatch County Code Section 14.01.04 A (6) is hereby enacted as follows:


An automatic fire sprinkler system are required to be installed in structures built in accordance with Utah Code Annotated 15A-5-203 when any of the following conditions apply:

A. The structure is in an area where a public water distribution system with fire hydrants does not exist as required by Utah Administrative Code, R309-550-5, Water Main Design.

1. Notwithstanding subsection A, In rural and suburban areas in which adequate and reliable water supply systems do not exist, the building code official is authorized to utilize NFPA 1142 or the International Wildland-Urban interface Code as amended by the State of Utah and Wasatch County.

B. The only fire apparatus access road has a grade greater than 10% for more than 500 continual feet;

C. The total floor area of all floor levels within the exterior walls of the dwelling unit exceeds 10,000 square feet; or

D. The total floor area of all floor levels within the exterior walls of the dwelling unit is double the average of the total floor area of all floor levels of un-sprinkled homes in the subdivision that are no larger than 10,000 square feet.”

If you’re residential building permit application meets the requirements for a sprinkler system (listed above) plans and calculations are required to be submitted at time of permit application. Your permit application will be deemed incomplete if fire sprinklers are required and you do not submit sprinkler plans and calculations.


Fire Forms

Fire District Assessment Package